Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Will Grayson, Will Grayson


Once I figured out what was going on, I love the style of writing this book has. It may be benefical to note the fact that there are two Will Graysons each telling their story (hence the title), something I didn't realize until halfway through the darn thing. Duh. Will Grayson, Will Grayson is co-written by two of my favorite authors, John Green and David Levithan. Green's character, Will Grayson, has the same name as Levithan's character. To keep the characters seperate, they have different chapters and Levithan's character uses all lower case letters and even writes his own name as "will grayson."

The first Will Grayson is a confused teenager whose rules are 1. Don't care too much and 2. Shut up. He tries to get through life as removed as possible. His best friend, ironnically named "Tiny," breaks both of these rules. Will sums up tiny as "Not the world's gayest person, and he is not the world's largest person, but I believe he may be the world's largest person who is really, really gay and the world's gayest person who is really, really large." Will suffers typical teen angst and his best friend really doesn't get it.

The second will grayson is angry about everything all the time. He's not even sure why. Both boys struggle with relationships self-acceptance. But this changes when they end up meeting each other and going to Tiny's highschool play, which is the major turning point in the story.

This book is one of my favorites becauase both authors go into depth about relationships in each teen's life, friendship, self-identity, acceptance, and love. You can relate to at least a few aspects of each character in the book, and I really think it's worth the read.


No comments:

Post a Comment